The origins of the Cervia saltworks are lost in ancient history. Already active during Roman times, over the centuries they expanded so much that in 1698 the inhabitants were forced to rebuild their village a few kilometers further away.

In 1959 ownership passed to the state, and the 144 multiple-harvest basins were combined into one single basin, from which the salt was harvested mechanically once a year. This resulted in the loss of the traditional method, when each salter used to divide their harvesting basin into five small sections, and every day they would collect the salt from one section. This was the only way to prevent the formation of more bitter salts, which required more time for crystallization and higher concentrations.

Supported by


Phone:335 375212


48015 Cervia (RA)

In 1989, some of the salters who had worked in the Cervia saltworks helped to form the Civiltà Salinara cultural association, with the aim of creating a museum of salt-production traditions (now housed in an old salt warehouse) bur overall in order to run the small basin number 89, the so called “Camillone” salt pan, according to traditional methods.

As well as protecting the association, in the future the Presidium also wants to start managing other basins using the traditional multiple-harvest system.


Production area
Cervia Municipality, Ravenna Province

Extractions are repeated throughout the summer season, from June to September.


Salina di Cervia, Cervia (Ra), Via Salara 6, tel. +39 0544 971765, fax +39 0544 978016,,

Last modified: 29 May 2022
This page is managed directly by the exhibitor and Slow Food does not take responsibility for the content herein. Report page